Thursday 19 April 2012

Never For Nothing EP Review

The UK email newsletter, Never For Nothing, have just published a really nice review of the EP. Here's the text of it:

GHOSTREE : Ghostree EP.                 Online only (independent)
UK four piece Indie band Ghostree have released their debut EP as an online only offering (for the time being at least) on Soundcloud.  However from first impressions, this release has the potential to go further as a hard copy CD.  Those that have read any of my previous reviews will be aware that I am partial to something a bit different than the run-of-the-mill praise & worship offerings & this sure fits the bill in that respect.  From the outset with the opening track “Hope” you’ll notice this isn’t your usual fayre with a rather atmospheric, slightly dark & possibly theatrical atmosphere & frontman Haydon Spenceley adds to this aura with his moody vocals - certainly fits the “indie” label.  “You They See” is a little lighter on the ears & has a good rocky feel to it.  My favourite on the EP has to be “Glorious” though as I found it to be one I would be likely to listen to repeatedly & not get bored.  It’s by no means a fast track but it still packs a punch in terms of the powerful God-centred praise lyrics & is certainly useable in a church setting – albeit with a little modification!  “Save My Day” follows on in a similar vein with “Hallelujah” completing this offering at a slightly more relaxed pace, but for me took a while to get going.  Difficult one to categorise is this – has a splash or REM in some respects with a dash of Coldplay.  Some may find it a bit too out of the ordinary but this grew on me!  Musicianship from this 4 piece outfit is excellent throughout & I have to admire some of the drum patterns & some of the rhythms could be occasionally seen as a tad experimental but it does work.  I look forward to seeing what else these guys can produce as I am sure there are greater things to come!  8/10  Simon Redfern

Big thanks to Simon Redfern, and Geoff Howlett for his continued support of UK independent bands.

No comments:

Post a Comment